Children's Martial Arts ClassesTeaching Kids Martial Arts
Parent Introduction to our Childrens Martial Arts Classes for kids ages 5 – 12 years old
Childrens Martial Arts classes for your youngest kid students are not designed to develop a highly skilled young martial artist. Instead, for this age group, we emphasize:
- Teaching them how to pay attention so they can become better learners.
- Developing better coordination so they can become more athletically inclined.
- Teaching them how to be more respectful and courteous.
- Showing them the foundational qualities of cooperation and trust.
- Finally, teaching them basic martial arts techniques and principles.
- Confidence and mental self-defense.
For these very young students, retention of techniques is not as important as enjoying class and exploring different movements, therefore tips and belts are based on time and attitude. We emphasize the importance of consistency and adhering to a set schedule to establish good learning habits.
Don’t worry if your kids don’t want to practice yet. It isn’t necessary as long as they are coming to class twice per week. If they do want to practice:
- Be consistent! Have specific practice times and do your best to stick with it. (Two or Three times per week is enough.)
- Keep practices short! Five to ten minutes is usually plenty of time for beginners.
- Reward effort! Be as encouraging as possible.
- Don’t be too picky! Slowly but surely form will improve so don’t expect too much too soon.
- Make it fun! This is the single most important factor in long-term success.
Remember, it is natural if your young student doesn’t want to come to class every now and then. Here are some tips to minimize this:
- Have a set schedule and stay with it.
- Don’t ask “Do you want to go to martial arts today?” Remember, kids are present focused, and if they are doing something fun they will answer “No”. Instead say, “It will be time to go in 15 minutes, so please start to get ready.”
- If resistance to coming to class persists, which it sometimes does, please let the instructor know. Often times a little instructor/student communication can do wonders.
Remember to measure your child’s feelings about whether or not they like martial arts by how they feel after class.
We usually transfer our youngest students into our Junior program sometime between 8.5 and 9 years old. It will be very apparent when it is time to move up. The goal is not to rush them into the Junior program, but rather to make sure your child is learning and enjoying the process.
For more information on our programs Click Here!